Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I'd like to thank the Academy...

Wow... I can hardly believe it... I don't have a speech prepared... let me get out my glasses... [deep breath and shaky hands]... unbelievable... I don't want to leave anyone out... and so on.

Seriously, though. After a day of avoiding my blog like the lurking, oozing pile of nonsense that it is, I logged in to beat it down. (Once engaged in a steel cage grudge match, I'm not one to back off.) And what should find in my comment feed but some extra-special love. I am new to blogging, still getting used to the idea that other people even click this way. I still am amazed that people not only read, but take the time to comment. So imagine my gaping awe to discover that the lovely Nicole had tagged me with the Liebster Blog Award. "Thank you" doesn't even begin to cover it. Nicole said, "there's no money or trophy or free cookies, but at least you know I think you are great." I love money and cookies as much as the next guy, but having just ventured out on my wobbly Bambi legs to do this thing, knowing someone thinks I'm great is way better. It was the kick in the pants I have needed these last few days. Especially coming from Nicole, whose blog is magnificent.

Now it's my turn to honor some of my favorites. Here's how it works, it's the nice kind of chain letter:


'Liebster' is a German word meaning dearest, and the award is given to up-and-coming bloggers with less than 200 followers.

If you receive this award, here is how you continue spreading the love...

1. Show your thanks to the blogger who gave you the award by linking back to them.

2. Reveal your top 5 blogs (with under 200 followers) and let them know by leaving a comment on their blog.

3. Post the Award on your blog.

4. Enjoy the love of some of the most supportive people on the Internet.



So here are my current top 5:


Wait, first I want to take a second and say that when I started this whole blog thing, I felt like such an outsider. I still do in some ways, but I have found that fellow bloggers are some of the most interesting, encouraging people I have ever not actually met. OK, now my top 5:


Oh. One more thing, I apologize in advance if I seem all weird and gushy and kind of stalker-y. I just love to read what other people write and I am completely enamored of the idea of people out there just hanging out, doing their thing and being fabulous. Now, really, Top 5:


Southern Fried Children - Sassy and foul-mouthed and oh-so-funny. Also brutally honest and boy, can that girl tell a story. She comes in just under the 200 readers thing, but I think she should have millions more.


Masked Mom - and not just because she leaves me comment love. She is suuuuuch a good writer, has her finger right on the pulse of something very real and funny and smart. She is always a day ahead of me with posts I was thinking about writing and does them so much better, I just make lists instead.


Frazzled and Frumpy - whatever her blog's moniker may be, her writing is fresh and funny. I am fascinated by her big family and her ability to keep it all in perspective and remain mostly sane.


Columbibueno - Two words: amazing poetry. Even the comments she leaves are like little poems. She's got a gift for breathtaking imagery, both literary and visual, that make me want to throw out my pens and paper.


The M Half of the M-n-J Show - She writes about the random ephemera of life and that makes me happy. She's got this whole balancing act of simple and sweet, funny, timely, and interesting. And she can write fiction which makes me extremely jealous.


I'm thankful for my gentle, long-suffering readers. But most of all, I'm thankful for the other writers. The ones that inspire me and cheer me up and make me laugh and make me want to crush my fingers with a mallet and never write again.



9 comments:

  1. You made me cry. Seriously. Wiping my eyes with my shirt as I type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I just found some new blogs to add to my reader....yours included. I love when bloggers get all appreciative and gushy about other bloggers. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad I made your day! That was my hope. And throw the mallet away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your Liebster! I agree, toss the mallet (or at least stash it away in the cellar, only to be taken out for such things as boiled crab dinners or to play croquet).

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, "Dear Sugar" tweets and facebooks a thank you for my review of her column and now this. Damn, I'm having a good week. ;)

    Now, step away from the mallet--finding your blog has been one of the great bonuses of this year's NaBlo for me.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, thank you so much! This has been the best part of nablopomo for me, finding new writers to read and be inspired by. I think you're fantastic, and this is an honor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a cool "chain letter" thing. I like positivity! And fun! And, oh my, I love your blog! I've referred others. I have! You'll see their names show up soon enough.

    Please don't ruin my year with your mallet. Seriously. ;-)

    Big blog hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's very simple. If my fingers were crushed with a mallet, I would then have a variety of choices: the old straw in the teeth syndrome, using at least four of my toes (my second toe on each foot is longer than my big toe), or finally I think I'd get pretty good with a chopstick in my armpit. Whatever it takes.
    Talk about cosmic. I'm prattling on about being hooked on writing and that's my word: hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Mark - I think I would be reduced to the same sort of means if I went through with the mallet thing. My fingers are safe for now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and taking the time to say hello!