Friday, December 21, 2012

Let's Make Some Magic

So then I said to her, oh no you di'int and she was all whatever sucka, I di'id. And then I was all well you just don't even know...

This broadcast has been interrupted to bring you this special report:

It has come to my attention that there's a very real little girl that needs our help. Tara from Faith In Ambiguity and her husband Mike are raising money for a sick little girl and her family in their community who really, really need it. Read more details from Tara here.

Here's the thing. There are the bell ringers, there are the folks who send you the free address labels with the puppies and kittens and ask for a donation, around here there are people from every cause imaginable who come door to door, or who stop you on street corners. Everywhere, it seems, there are people or causes that want our time and our money. Most of them are valid. (Except I never did get my subscription to Garden & Gun that I ordered from that man who came to my door. I hope that he used my $40 well. I didn't really need the magazine, I just wanted to help out. Oh no you di'int! Girl, you a sucker! Hush. That program has been interrupted.) We all have our own stuff going on, I understand that. But this is something so simple, so tangible, so immediate and necessary. Take a minute and read Lidija's story and you decide.

I'm going to go all Sally Struthers on yo' ass now. (I apologize for that. I don't know where that keeps coming from.)
My chips and queso, if I get them on sale (and I always do) cost me about $5 and last me a few days. Depends on how hard I'm hitting them. So, that's my fun money. $5 every few days for my little gastronomic indulgence that I neither need, nor is it good for me. Here's the kicker, though: I can actually eat chips and queso. Lidija can't. She can't eat anything except one specialized formula that (of course) isn't covered by insurance. We can joke about overeating on the holidays and chocolate and all the ha ha funny funny stuff that gets trotted around the barnyard every holiday season or we can seriously think about a six year old who can't eat cookies. Send her your wine money, send her your coffee money, send her the change you found in your car floor and your cushions, just do something to help this family.

If you can't spare a dime (I know how this can be) then use your influence, spread the word. Make social media worth something more than mean jokes and hedgehog pictures. You probably know generous people who would jump at the chance. I don't know them, Tara doesn't know them, Lidija doesn't know them. You know them. Let's make some magic.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, TL!I can't even begin to tell you how much this touches me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Lidija's mom. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate this. Lidija is really one of the most delightful little girls one could ever want to meet and I got to be her mother. I had her at 43 after a miscarriage that broke my heart. I had to have another baby and I got Lidija. I probably looked at her every day for at least the first two years of her life and thought, "I can't believe I got to do it again and she's mine." I hear people say all the time that they don't care whether or not they are having a boy or a girl, "just as long as it's healthy..." People think that, but they don't realize that the child who struggles changes them, changes their hearts, gives and gives and gives and fills the world with joy, the kind of joy they never could have imagined. Health is a gift I want to give to my child, to give her the freedom to just be a kid without having to worry, to be in fear of things that can make her go anaphylactic, to not have the knowledge she has about what goes on in the world. I DELIGHT in her every day. Her illness is not who she is. There are no words to describe how delightful she is and how much joy she spreads to all who encounter her. That is who she is, a very precious little girl who is full of joy, but desperately needs to catch a break. She needs a miracle. I am blessed beyond`measure. I am grateful for so many things. But things aren't the beauty here. The beauty here is found in the precious hearts of so many people. I hate the news. I LOVE knowing that I am surrounded by people who care deeply. There is far more beauty in the world than we can imagine. Sometimes, we catch a tiny glimpse. Thank you for sharing your beautiful heart.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and taking the time to say hello!